Participants are expected to attend all sessions, where they engage critically with the readings and the issues discussed. Since the seminar is based on active participation of the participants, the participants are expected to read the assigned readings.
MONDAY, August 27, 2012
Liberal, Classical Liberal, Libertarian? by Tanja Stumberger
- "The Encyclopedia of Libertarianism: Classical Liberalism, German Liberalism, presumption of Liberty, Liberty in the Ancient World, Limited Government and John Locke".
- "The Roots of Libertarianism" by David Boaz.
The Rule of Law and the Free Society by Katarina Zajc
- "Judicial Reform: The Why, the What, and the How" by Richard E. Messick, (link)
Individual Rights v. Government Powers by Tanja Stumberger
- "Man's Rights" by Ayn Rand, (link)
- "The Right to Ignore the State" by Herbert Spencer.
- "The State" by Murray Rothbard.
TUESDAY, August 28, 2012
Good Things Happening in the Region by Tom Palmer
- No readings.
History of Liberty by Tom Palmer
- "Limited Government and the Rule of Law" by Tom Palmer. (link)
- "Democracy and the Contest for Liberty" by Tom Palmer. (link)
History of Economic Thought by Adam Martin
- "The Battle of Ideas : Economics and the Struggle for a Better World" by Peter Boettke.
WEDNESDAY, August 29, 2012
Morality of Capitalism by Tom Palmer
- "Interview with John Mackey" (link)
Anarcho-Capitalism by Adam Martin
- "The Obviousness of Anarchy" by John Hasnas.
The Austrian School v. the Chicago School by Adam Martin
- Joshua C. Hall and Adam G. Martin, "Austrian Economics: Methodology, Concepts, and Implications for Economic Education"
- "Milton Friedman and the Chicago School of Economics" by Richard M. Ebeling, (link
Flat Tax, Tax Competition and Tax Haven by Dan Mitchell
- 1. On flat tax
a) "A Brief Guide to the Flat Tax" by Dan Mitchell (link)
b) "The Flat Tax: How it Works and Why it is Good for America" by Dan Mitchell (video)
- 2. On tax competition:
a) "British Business Writer Explains: Thanks to Tax Competition and Tax Havens, the Greed of the Political Class Is Being Constrained" by Dan Mitchell (link)
b) "Tax Oppression Index Ranks America in Bottom Half of Industrialized Nations" by Dan Mitchell (link)
c) "Tax Competition: A Liberalizing Force in the World Economy" by Dan Mitchell (video)
- 3. On tax havens:
a) "The Economic Case for Tax Havens" by Dan Mitchell (video)
b) "The Moral Case for Tax Havens" by Dan Mitchell (video)
c) "Tax Havens: Myths vs. Facts" by Dan Mitchell (video)
THURSDAY, August 30, 2012
The Government's Role in the Economy: Keynes v. Hayek by Dan Mitchell
- "Why Is Keynesian Economics Like a Freddy Krueger Movie?" by Dan Mitchell. (link)
- "The Keynesian Crack-Up" by Dan Mitchell. (link)
- "Keynesian Economics and the Wizard of Oz" by Dan Mitchell. (link)
FRIDAY, August 31, 2012
The Future of International Security Alliances by Doug Bandow
-"The Case for Restraint" by Barry R. Posen (link)
Drug War and Drug Decriminalization by Doug Bandow
- "It's Time to Declare Peace in the War on Drugs" by Doug Bandow, (link)
-"Will Mexico Declare Peace In The War On Drugs, And Will Obama Let Them?" by Doug Bandow, (link)
Great Myths of the Great Depression by Larry Reed
- No readings.
Free Trade and Security by Doug Bandow
- "Made on Earth: How Global Economic Integration Renders Trade Policy Obsoleteby" by Daniel J. Ikenson, (link)