Participants are expected to attend all sessions and to engage critically with the readings and the issues that are discussed. Seminar’s approach is based on active participation of the participants. The participants are therefore expected to read the corresponding readings:
Tuesday, September 14, 2010
Discussion: Liberal, Classical Liberal, Libertarian? by Tanja Štumberger
- The Encyclopedia of Libertarianism, pp: 295-307.
Wednesday, September 15, 2010
Lecture: Philosophical and Historical Roots of Liberty by Bernard Brščič
- Norman P. Barry, “The New Liberalism,” British Journal of Political Science. 13, 1. (Jan., 1983), pp. 93-123.
- Ludwig von Mises Institute, What is Austrian Economics?
Lecture: On the Impossibility of Social Justice by Bernard Brščič
- Antony Flew, Socialism and Social Justice.
- Ben Jackson, “The Conceptual History of Social Justice,” Political Studies Review 3, 3 (2005), pp: 356-73.
Discussion: Individual Rights: Origin, Scope, and Limitations by Tanja Štumberger
- David Boaz, “The Roots of Libertarianism,” in Libertarianism: A Primer (New York: The free Press, 1997), pp: 27-58.
- Murray Rothbard, “The State,” in The Libertarian Reader (New York: The Free Press, 1997), pp: 36-41.
- Herbert Spencer, “The Right to Ignore the State,” in The Libertarian Reader (New York: The Free Press, 1997), pp: 149-53.
- Ayn Rand, “Man’s Rights,” The Virtue of Selfishness, pp: 65-72.
Discussion: The Rule of Law, Property Rights and the Free Society by Ben Stafford
- Frederic Bastiat, The Law (FEE: 1998).
Discussion: Free Banking vs. Central Banking, and the Implications for Society by David Greenwald
- Murray Rothbard, “What Has Government Done to Our Money?” in Government Meddling with Money, pp: 51-84.
Discussion: No World Peace Without Free Trade by Anže Burger
- Leonard Read, I, Pencil: My Family Tree as Told to Leonard E. Read (FEE: 2008).
Thursday, September 16, 2010
Discussion: Private Charity versus the Welfare State by Matej Kovač
Discussion: Banking and the Business Cycle: How the Federal Reserve Provokes Market Crashes and Creates Recessions by David Greenwald
- Gene Callahan, “Times are Hard - On the Causes of the Business Cycle," in Economics for Real People, pp: 209-35.
Friday, September 17, 2010
Discussion: Self-interest and Pride as a Virtue by Tanja Štumberger
- David Kelley, “A Philosophy for the 21st Century,” in The New Individualist (October 2007), pp: 41-49.
- Robert James Bidinotto, “The Revolutionary Philosophy of Atlas Shrugged,” in The New Individualist (October 2007), pp: 32-39.
Discussion: The Essence and Importance of the Private Sector by Primož Kocuvan
Saturday, September 18, 2010
Discussion: Transition in Central and Eastern Europe: Lessons by Krassen Stanchev
- Ljubo Sirc, What Gorbachov Must Do? (CRCE, 1989).
Discussion: Privatization: Short-Term and Long-Term Effects by Tomasz Mickiewicz
- Tomasz Mickiewicz, "Privatization: Speed, Efficiency, Distribution," in Economics of Institutional Change (Palgrave Macmillan: 2010, forthcoming).
- Lecture: The Rule of Law and Independent Courts: Requirements for Foreign Investment and Economic Liberty by John S. Baker
- Lecture: The Constitutional Foundation of the US Economy by John S. Baker
Sunday, September 19, 2010
Discussion: Why is Socialism Economically Impossible? by Krassen Stanchev
- Israel M. Kirzner and Frederic Sautet, The Nature and Role of Entrepreneurship in Markets: Implications for Policy (Mercatus Center: June 2006).
Discussion: Entrepreneurship and Institutions in Transition Countries by Tomasz Mickiewicz
- Saul Estrin and Tomasz Mickiewicz, Entrepreneurship in Transition Economies: The Role of Institutions and Generational Change, IZA DP No. 4805 (IZA: March 2010).